Saturday, December 29, 2018

Best Songs of 2018

As per last year - a round dozen songs, with a bonus thirteenth track for the deluxe edition. One song per artist, “featuring on” doesn’t count towards that one per artist total - although I’m limiting myself to one “feat.” as well.


13. Dagny - Love You Like That
I’m taking some liberties with these songs, as while they were all new to me this year, this song (and
one other) were released late in 2017. However as most Best Of Year End lists are compiled in
November for press in December, and it’s my list so it’s my rules, I’m bending things in this new age of
streaming services where most songs don’t have a release date - or even a physical release. Dagny
came to my attention late this year, as one of her songs was played before Sigrid came on stage and I
liked it enough to Shazam. Scandanavian pop became my niche interest this autumn and Dagny filled
that with aplomb.


12. Anavae - Afraid
Bit of a year for the London based duo, after the highs of their first headline tour in the Spring to
parting ways with their absolute dicks of a label, to successfully launching a PledgeMusic campaign
that, it’s probably fair to say, was more overwhelmingly positive than expected! This is the first song
publicly released from the Pledge EP and demonstrates the growth the band have gone through over
the last few years. If this is the direction they’re going in I’m all aboard the hype train!


11. Pale Waves - Red
I heard a lot of buzz about Pale Waves’ album from friends on Twitter when it was released in October
so I figured I’d give it a listen. I wasn’t disappointed with what I heard, but oddly the song that stuck out
to me was an album track rather than one of the singles. A band who’ve built on Chvrches’ synthpop
and made something better (it’s telling that this makes the cut while nothing from the Glasgow band’s
third album does), this is one of those songs I can listen to on repeat without getting bored of it.


10. Troye Sivan ft. Ariana Grande - Dance To This
The first male vocal on this list, and also the first instance of me cheating my own rules to squeeze in
an artist who’ll appear later on, using a “feat.” credit. While she’s not been brutally eviscerating
sentient ham Piers Morgan on Twitter, Ariana’s steadily rolled out some bangers throughout the year,
and this guest appearance just adds a lovely air to a genuinely nice song. While some pop songs
conjure up images of a thrilling romance, this is a cozy afternoon on the couch, and all the better for it.


9. Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water
A bit of a departure from my other favourite Canadian singer. Rather than coming out swinging for the
fences with a bratty pop-punk belter leading off a new album, as she has done since bursting onto the
scene in 2002, Avril launched this new era with a hopeful uplifting ballad. A more mature sound (it’s
tricky to pull off a defiant teenage punk act when you’re 34) no doubt influenced by her issues with
lyme disease, it’s got me looking forward to the new album.


8. MNEK ft. Hailee Steinfeld - Colour
Thanks to seeing both artists in support slots, and copious showings of the video before Little Mix, I
managed to hear this song at three separate gigs this year, which may be some form of record for me.
Another nice, lovely song that won’t storm the charts or break the internet but it will make the day
seem a little less grey when you listen to it - and isn’t that the point of pop?


7. Lena - Thank You
The artist with the most scrobbled track in my 13 year Last.fm listening history, Lena came back this
year with a wonderfully sarcastic peon to an ex. A slow-burner, this song was initially written off by me
as a passable single unfortunately overshadowed by Ariana Grande’s “thank you, next” released a day
after, but it burrowed deep into my skull and became a track I frequently returned to, discovering new
things each time. I just wish she’d tour in England!


6. K.I.D - Boy (reprise)
Like the Dagny track I’ve fudged the timeline slightly for this song as well, as this was released in
November last year but I only discovered it in July on a Spotify playlist. That was overshadowed by the
discovery of Poppy, a sentient singing Siri, but this track kept reappearing on Discover playlists until
the raw emotion and yearning of Boy became something I made a note of. A beautiful ballad of
teenage lust, the acoustic version has a bit more passion than the original, and I can see this being a
random deep cut I return to in years to come.


5. Sigrid - High Five
Sigrid won the BBC’s Sound of 2018 poll at the start of the year, and has been pushed heavily since,
with tours increasing in venue size throughout the year. With a debut album next year she’s poised to
break through into the mainstream; given the rate of bangers she’s put out (and the newer songs she
played on the autumn tour) it’ll be justified. Scandinavians just do pop better than everyone else and
this is the perfect example of it - a frothy fun song that seems pleasant on first listen, until you realise
how biting the lyrics are.


4. Ariana Grande - God is a woman
It’s a long journey from the third female in a kid’s TV show to being the first person ever to be named
an honorary citizen of Manchester after her response to the bombing after her gig, to having to publicly
deal with one actual and one threatened suicide of her ex-boyfriends. In between all that Ari released
several bangers. While No Tears Left To Cry had a cathartic energy to it that launched a new era while
still paying tribute to Manchester, this track was a statement of intent that blew me away. I do love me
some big epic tracks and this is no exception!


3. Carly Rae Jepsen - Party For One
Carly continues to tease us with the promise of a new album, but in the meantime she gives us little
droplets of single releases to tide us over in the long droughts. After Cut To The Feeling last year we
got this infectious poppy single about being able to support yourself, not needing anyone else, how it’s
ok to spend some time on your own...ok it’s about wanking, but like the Hailee Steinfeld track of three
years ago it’s a great song regardless of subject matter!


2. Selena Gomez - Back To You
My love of this song is frequently used against me in arguments about my bias towards female singers,
as “if Ed Sheeran sang it instead [I’d] hate it!” Well, probably, but as it was released by a different friend
of Taylor (a description that sounds vaguely euphemistic, like “friend of Dorothy” but less stigmatised)
it’s regularly made it onto my playlists this year. A lovely, pleasant acoustic ballad that’s good enough to
make me forget that it’s probably written about Justin Bieber. Video’s good, too.


1. Hailee Steinfeld - Capital Letters

Hailee has been quietly putting out some bangers throughout the year, and coupled with a stellar
performance supporting Katy Perry makes me think she’s not just doing this music career as a side gig.
Despite being released at the start of the year this song has a nice uplifting vibe that would’ve made it
a perfect summer song, so I kept listening to it throughout the year to fit it in with the seasons. It’s also
another example of a film soundtrack that’s far better than the film it’s promoting (see also: the other 50
Shades films, Vampire Academy, Twilight, Hunger Games...I’m not sure what it says about me that YA
adaptations have soundtracks that really click with me).

No comments:

Football survey 2023

Started this last year, so why not make it a tradition? Top 5 games of the year? Arsenal 3 Chelsea 1, 4th March, Selhurst Park (Continental ...