Monday, December 29, 2008

2008: My Year In Stuff

Films of the year:

5. Wanted

In which we see guns, fast cars, Angelina Jolie's backside, Anton from Night Watch and Elton Pope from Doctor Who.

4. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

In which Veronica Mars dumps her ex-boyfriend's adopted step-sister's husband, who promptly shacks up with Jackie from That 70s Show. Russell Brand takes a break from torturing Spanish waiters too.

3. Juno

In which underage teen has premarital illegal unprotected sex, gets pregnant, has child out of wedlock, sells kid to single mum. A cautionary whale for our times. Strangely popular with the Daily Mail.

2. The Mist

In which we find that the monsters lurking outside in the fog aren't necessarily as scary as the humans inside with you. Bonus! Contains the happiest ending ever.

1. The Dark Knight

What, you expected Twilight?

Five new TV shows that took my fancy:

5. Chuck


4. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles


3. Leverage


2. Mad Men


1. How I Met Your Mother


Funny quotes from the year:

Sarah Connor: Nobody dies until I say so.
Cameron: People die all the time, they won’t wait for her.
Sarah telling a strangely literal robot not to kill anyone.

"[Penny's] giving it up hard 'cause she's with Captain Hammer and these [holds up fists] are not the hammer."
Captain Hammer explaining his seduction technique.

"...the hammer is my penis."
A little too literally.

Betty: "Why aren't you disciplining your son?"
Don: "My father beat the hell out of me to discipline me, and all it did was make me fantasize about the day I could murder him."
Family control, Mad Men style.

He may not fit society's definition of a hero, but he is the hero I needed. The hero who helped me recover from the disaster of my failed almost-marriage and get back into the game. He lives in the shadows. Is he a dream? Truth? Fiction? Damnation? Salvation? He is all these things and none of them. He is -- The Naked Man.
Hey, it works two out of three times.

"Who needs love when the sandwiches are wicked and they know you at the Mac store?"
Amanda Palmer finds pleasure in other things.

I like her hair. I wonder if the carpet matches her pubes.
Paul Rudd's attempts at scene stealing, Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

I once saw a horse kill a clown. (Flashback to: a man in a horse costume beats up another man in a clown costume) I just really don’t like horses.
One explanation for why Parker is as kooky as she is, Leverage.

No comments: