Friday, April 04, 2008

Bemusement

So, I'm standing in Our Price Virgin Zavvi.

I've got a bit of time to kill before Whatever Comics opens, and I'm happily listening to Jimi Hendrix played over the store speakers while reading an article about The Eagles. As it's a nice warm day I'm jacketless, with only a Subways t-shirt hiding my modesty.

(And jeans and boots as well, obviously).

Suddenly, I'm jerked back from 1970s California by a brunette in her late 20s asking me a question. "I'm sorry," I reply while checking to see if I've left my BT pass around my neck, "I don't work here."

"I know that," she says, "but I have a request. I was wondering if you could help me as I'm looking for female fronted rock bands. I currently listen to The Faders and Avril Lavigne and want to grow up, so to speak."

Right. Red rag to a bull. The poor girl had to get a basket as she didn't have enough hands for the amount of CDs she had! Of course, I started with Garbage, then a bit of Blondie, The Runaways, Arch Enemy, Die So Fluid, The Duke Spirit, Hole, Babes In Toyland, a spare copy of You Bring Me Down that I found in the albums section, The Donnas, Nightwish, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Be Your Own Pet and Metric.

The thing is, I can't for the life of me work out what it was that gave it away I'd know about femrock. Were it not for perusing Laura-Mary's Facebook page over my breakfast I would've had even less of a clue.

No comments: